Friday, December 5, 2014

media diet

I think I need to go on a media diet. Maybe for a week and see how I feel. I'm finding myself obsessively clicking on the NYTimes for updates about the Eric Garner protests (I joined the march last night for about an hour. Walking down the middle of Canal Street during rush hour is a weird experience alone, leaving aside the context momentarily) and I am allowing way too much bad news to enter my head space. I just read about the mass exodus at The New Republic, the flawed journalism of the UVA rape story at Rolling Stone, and am feeling despair at the state of all things American. No Times, no Gothamist, no Facebook for a week. A sort of cleanse. Yep.

1 comment:

  1. I glance at the headlines, that is depressing enough.
    Yesterday, there was an article about a local teen who developed & is marketing a tent thing that fits over the bed, a sleep-over tent he's calling it. A cute story of a kid going places. I thought, I hope he isn't ever at the wrong place at the wrong time, so the police don't kill him.
    {sigh}

    ReplyDelete