Thursday, January 8, 2015

Tziporah Salamon

I kept waiting for her to come back on screen, for her name to appear identifying who she was, as it had for the other ladies (and they were all ladies) in the documentary. It wasn't until Ari, the writer whose blog had inspired the film (Advanced Style) chastised her, saying "Tziporah, something something something, don't get your hopes up" that I had something to google. Which took a bit of doing, because I had to spell it phonetically. But I eventually landed on her identity: Tziporah Salamon. 

I found this image of her on Pinterest. I immediately recognized the building and sign—it's on the way to City Quilter and I've frequently thought what a great backdrop it would make for a portrait. I admire those women who can make an art of dressing—or more correctly, are artful dressers. And there is so much consideration for color, proportion, balance, texture in Tziporah Salamon's ensembles. Such wonderful shapes (those hats!), such a marvelous eye for pattern and layers. And I agree that it is about having an "eye," not money, however clichéd that is. She described waiting for years sometimes for the perfect thing to finish an outfit before she would ever actually wear it. And doing a critical scan of her clothing, it's not "designer-y," but primarily vintage/anonymous. It's how she assembles them that makes them special.

I wish the film had given her more screen time, I am curious about her background. One quote of hers from the documentary that I scrawled down and have subsequently memorized is: "Better hand-to-mouth than nine-to-five." Whatta gal! Love her. She seems like the ultimate sassypants.
She rides her Bianchi everywhere.
All these images are from Pinterest. Apologies for no attribution.
That hat! Those shoes!
Looking like a Maira Kalman painting in this one.

3 comments:

  1. She is a doll. I'm glad you investigated. I need to see this film after reading about it on Advanced Style.

    Her look in the second image is especially fetching to me (who loves dots). To please oneself in when one wears, and does with one's time ... ahh. I wonder when she first had enough confidence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth,
      I wonder that too - is it an innate thing? That boldness? Can you develop it? I like to think perhaps I could have a latent version of it, just requiring the right trigger to release it. I sense that these ladies have always been so fearless. In the film, it's clear that at least one of them, Debra Rapoport, can't NOT express herself so vibrantly. There is a somewhat painful scene in which her partner (now of many years) confessed to not wanting to date her initially Because he thought she looked like a clown. The expression on her face when he reveals this to the camera is heartbreaking.

      Delete
    2. Ouch. Sad and poignant. I just finished reading Villette by Charlotte Brontë (a book I didn't know existed a couple weeks ago), and your account reminds me of that story, somehow, and one of the relationships. I truly think that though some people attract us at first look, over time they become less attractive. The vice versa is even more satisfying. Still, this little tale is sad.

      Delete